Talks: 2021 Friday, October 22 HTMX: Frontend Revolution by Thomas Güttler ( https://twitter.com/guettli ) ¶
On youtube ¶
About This Talk ¶
I developed my first CGI script in 1998. Since that day I have seen a lot of hypes coming and going.
The talk will consist of three parts:
My humorous odyssey of trying to find a great frontend framework
Retrospective: What do I want from the frontend ?
I finally found: HTMX: HTML Fragments over the wire
How to use HTMX with Django
Besides simplicity, good Web Vitals performance (SEO) is a benefit of this method.
The talk will express my personal opinion, feelings and fun. It won’t dive into technical details.
Thomas Güttler ¶
I am Thomas Güttler. Born 1976 in Germany. I like web development and try to avoid JS as much as possible.
Inventor of the term Frow (Fragments over the wire)
Transcription: 2021 Friday, October 22
HTMX: Frontend Revolution
by Thomas Güttler
- My opinionated Odyssey
- Start of the Odyssey
- 2008, I started to use Django
- In 2014, I came across Angular GAFA
- A small spare time project
- What do you want, what do you like ?
- SSR (server-side rendering) Hype
- And then comes the revolution unpoly + htmx
- I had the freedom of choice and my choice was HTMX
- 12:31 Partial updates with HTMX
- 13:55 So once again, how does it work ?
- HTMX is declarative like HTML, itself
- So let’s jump to the demo right away (htmx examples)
- click to edit (https://htmx.org/examples/click-to-edit/)
- cascading selects (https://htmx.org/examples/value-select/)
- infinite scroll (https://htmx.org/examples/infinite-scroll/)
- CSS animations (https://htmx.org/examples/animations/)
- 24:54 What does HTMX mean for me as a Django developer ?
- 26:13 Naming pattern
- HTMX is great for
- It depends
- 31:26 Rethinking “smart” re-use of API
- 32:11 Serve the matching format
- The end of the Odyssey ?
- 35:20 django-htmx-fun
- descript team
- Let’s get in touch